I further explored the possibilities of Distress Markers by using them to color my image. I heat embossed the holly on watercolor paper. I applied worn lipstick marker to color the berries, putting just a narrow line at the edge, then using a water brush to pull the color to the inside. I applied crushed olive marker to the leaves and again used the water brush to disperse the color to the inside. I actually did that a couple of times.
I heat embossed the text and tied baker's twine around the bottom. That was matted using two shades of green cardstock. I randomly made a "plaid" design using a scoring board on the front of a cream-colored card and adhered my holly to that.
Conclusion: Putting a narrow line of color at the edge of the image was made easier with a choice of two tips on the marker. I used the pointed end for the berries and the wider end for the leaves. Nice option! And the color blended nicely. I was able to get at least three shades by using just one color - not exactly Copic but faster and easier.