Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Oh my, , ,


When I first saw the yellow trees amongst the dark green pines in the Blue Mountains south of Pendleton OR my first thought was that it was typical autumn foliage transforming for winter.  After several miles I realized that wasn't the case at all as they were pine trees (also known as "evergreens") which shouldn't make any change.  I'm sure it's some sort of insect kill which, although a natural part of the system, is still sad to see.  There's a lot of them but there's also some sturdy new trees that so far aren't affected so hopefully the forest will be green again before too long.  And perhaps in some areas the trees can be thinned out and used as they are in CO for building and pellets.  I trust Mother Nature knows what she is doing, though I can't help but wonder if the actions and practices of the homo sapiens has had an impact.  It's a reminder to get out and enjoy the natural wonders that are so prevalent in our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment